Leukocyte Rich Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) are a by-product of your OWN blood that is exceptionally rich in platelets. Concentrated blood has long been used in hospitals to accelerate the body’s own healing process. Dr. Amin has been using concentrates made from your own blood since 2002. Unfortunately, very few dentists harness this technology and most dentists don’t know how to draw blood.
The blood platelets, fibrin and growth factors perform several essential functions in the body, including blood clot formation and they trigger the release of other growth factors that help to heal wounds. These growth factors stimulate the stem cells to produce new host tissue as quickly as possible, which is why L-PRF/PRP is so effective in the post-treatment healing process.
L-PRF™ is a 3-D autogenous combination of Platelet Rich Fibrin derived from the patient’s blood. A simple blood draw aids in production of a thin, compressed layer of platelet rich fibrin that is strong, pliable and suitable for suturing. This natural fibrin network is rich in platelets, growth factors (PDGF, BMP, VEGF) and cytokines that are derived from the blood platelets and white blood cells called leukocytes. The presence of these proteins produce rapid healing, especially during the critical first seven days after placement. This network promotes more efficient cell migration and proliferation without chemical additives.
There are several ways in which PRP and L-PRF can be used in clinical dentistry:
- Bone Grafting For Dental Implants – This includes socket bone grafts, sinus lifts, ridge augmentation, bone widening grafts, correcting peri-implantitis and onlay block bone grafts.
- Bone Repair – PRP or L-PRF can be used in facial trauma reconstruction, repairing of defects due to tooth removal, or the removal of growths and cysts.
- Extractions – This includes wisdom teeth impactions as well as regular extractions. It has been shown to decrease the chance of developing dry sockets which can be very painful.
Reasons for PRP and L-PRF treatment
L-PRF/PRP application is widely used to expedite the post-procedure healing process and is completely safe.
Since the blood used will come from the patient’s own body, disease transmission is not a factor. Almost all patients report a much greater degree of comfort immediately after their procedure. There are also several more distinct advantages of using L-PRF and PRP
- Lower Infection Risk – L-PRF and PRP is applied to the surgical area and after the procedure. It actually seals the wound away from bacteria, lowering the risk of problems.
- Accelerated Healing – The saturation of the surgical area, bone graft material and/or dental implant helps increase tissue formation due to its growth factors such as BMP, VEGF and PDGF, and this, in turn, results in faster gum and bone regeneration. Speedier healing decreases the risk of later infections, complications, and discomfort. Dr. Amin’s patients routinely report less pain when this is used.
- Safety and Convenience – Disease transmission is non-issue since the blood is harvested from the patient’s own blood supply. The amount of blood needed is small and can be collected easily. Dr. Amin will draw your blood with the same ‘poke’ for the IV sedation…he is really good at it, too!
What does platelet rich fibrin and plasma treatment involve?
We will initially assess if you’re a candidate for L-PRF/PRP treatment. A small sample of your blood will be collected in test tubes for your bone or gum graft, dental implant, and/or extraction. The blood will be placed into a centrifuge to separate the blood into layers.
Dr. Ramsey Amin will apply the L-PRF/PRP to the surgical area in a high concentration. This will expedite your healing and decrease the amount of discomfort following the surgery. We will provide aftercare instructions pertaining to the surgery and a prescription for pain medication as required.
If you have any questions about treatment with platelet rich fibrin/plasma or would like to find out if you are a candidate and can benefit from this treatment, please contact our Burbank office today to schedule an appointment.
Bone Grafting Services
Extraction Socket Bone Graft | Bone Widening/Expansion
Bone Grafting For Dental Implants
Nerve Repositioning – Lateralization | Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)